Thursday, April 5, 2012

A to Z: Early

The fifth letter for the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

E is for Early


Nothing Gold Can Stay
Robert Frost

Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sand to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

It was inside of The Outsiders where I discovered Robert Frost. He is golden. Maybe there was no other reason to read S. E. Hinton's novel, but at the age of twelve I was charmed by Ponyboy and Sodapop.

For Poetry Day, which fell on Valentine's Day-properly, at the children's school, they were to recite a poem, written or chosen. With the oldest, everything involves humor(something about nose picking that Shel composed). The second oldest is softer. I shared with him a number of Robert Frost poems. He chose the most golden.

More on both boys and their comedy and gentle ways in a post closer to the end of the alphabet.

14 comments:

  1. I love Robert Frost and I love this poem! Great post as always.
    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I love this poem and I L*O*V*E "The Outsiders;" one of the most perfect novels. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for stopping in. It's nice to know that others enjoyed those boys and their endless troubles.

      Delete
  3. I am a big fan of Robert Frost. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's crazy how different your kids can be... yet so alike. Great post!
    ~2

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Frost. Always have.

    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. "So Eden sand to grief" What poignant words to express that all our hopes and dreams live on not in us but our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a typo, of course she 'sank' to grief. It's such a pleasure to see them connect to thing that made an impression on me when I was young.

      Delete
  7. Heehee, I remember that nose poem. And I so love that Jah went for nature's first green.
    by the way, I read a Shel poem aloud on stage when I was ten as well. It ended, "And you'll never guess what I did then.. I died." I dressed in cowboy attire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it perfectly them?!

      Wow, you were just as cool then!! I'll have to share that one with Sidd, I don't think he knows it.

      Delete